A Sunday Special Word of Exhortation and Encouragement:- Why are Women important in the Home and Society?
A woman got tired of her marriage life and wanted to kill her husband so that she could become a free woman once again.
One morning she ran to her mother and said to her:
“Mother, I am tired of my husband I can no longer support his nonsense. I want to kill him but I am afraid law of the land will hold me responsible, can you please help me mother?”
The mother looked at her very quietly and answered:
“Yes my daughter I can help you, but, there is a little task attached”.
The daughter asked: “what task? I am willing and ready to assume any task attached in order to get him out of my life”.
Okay, said the mother. “Now listen very carefully my dear and follow these instructions to the letter”.
1. You will have to make peace with him, so that no one will suspect you when he is dead.
2. You will have to beautify yourself in order to look young and attractive to him always.
3. You have to take good care of him and be very nice and appreciative to him.
4. You have to be patient, loving and less jealous, have more listening ears, be more respectful and obedient to him.
5. Spend your money on him and don’t get angry even when he refuses to give you money for the home.
6. Don’t raise your voice against him, but encourage peace and love so that you will never be suspected when he finally dies.
“Can you do all of that?” asked the mother.
“Yes I can”, she replied eagerly.
Okay, said the mother.
“Now take this powder and pour a little bit into his every day meal, it will kill him slowly” the mother said.
After 30 days she came back to her mother and said.
“Mother, I have no intention of killing my husband again. As of now I have grown to love him because he has completely changed, he is now a very sweet husband than I ever imagined” she said in a very worried voice.
“What can I do to stop the poison from killing him? Please help me mother” she cried.
The mother answered; “Do not worry my daughter. What I gave you the other day was just Tumeric Powder. It will never kill him”.
“In reality, you were the poison that was slowly killing your husband with tension and dispassion. It was when you started loving, honouring and cherishing him that you began to see him change to the nice and sweet husband you so much desired” she added.
“Men are not really wicked, but our way of relating with them determines their responses and feelings towards us”.
So women out there having the same issues at home, if only you can show respect, dedication, love, care and commitment to your husbands they will be 100% dedicated to you; they will be there for you always.
This is how every woman should be at home caring for her children and husband. This is the role God has prepared for women to take up as the home keeper and help mate of the man.
Question: Why are women important in the home and society?
“Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” – Proverbs 31:25-28.
Women are very important because they are the key to sustainable development and quality of life in the home, family and society as a whole.
For our discussion today, we will look at the varieties of roles that women assume in the family.
They are those of a wife, leader, administrator, manager of family income and last but not the least important the mother.
1. As a wife.
“The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.” – Genesis 3:20.
- Woman is man’s helpmate, partner and comrade.
- She sacrifices her personal pleasure and ambitions, sets standard of morality, relieves stress and strain, tension of husband, maintains peace and order in the household.
- Thereby she creates the necessary environment for her male partner to think more about the economic upliftment of family.
- She is the source of inspiration to man for high endeavour and worth achievements in life.
- She stands by him in all the crises as well as shares with him all successes and attainments.
- She is the person to whom he turns for love, sympathy, understanding, comfort and recognition.
- She is the symbol of purity, faithfulness and submission and devotion to her husband.
2. As an Administrator and Leader of the Household.
“A gracious woman gets honor…” – Proverbs 11:16.
A well-ordered disciplined household is essential to normal family life. The woman in the family assumes this function.
- She is the chief executive of an enterprise.
- She assigns duties among family members according to their interest and abilities and provides resources in-term of equipment and materials to accomplish the job.
- She plays a key role in the preparation and serving of meals, selection and care of clothing, laundering, furnishing and maintenance of the house.
- As an administrator of the Home, she organizes various social functions in the family for social development.
- She also acts as a director of recreation, ensuring that visitors to the home are well catered for and entertained.
- She plans various recreational activities to meet the needs of young and old members of the family.
3. As a Manager of Family Income.
“She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.” – Proverbs 31:15.
A woman acts as the humble manager of the family income. It is her responsibility to secure maximum returns from every penny spent on the home budget.
- She always prefers to prepare a surplus budget instead of a deficit budget.
- She is always calculating loss and gain while spending money for the upkeep of the home.
- She distributes judiciously the income on different heads such as necessities, comforts and luxuries.
- The woman in the home also contributes to the family income through her own earning within or outside the home.
- She makes a positive contribution to the family income by the work she does.
- She herself performs in the home and never allows things to go to waste, but rather uses waste products for productive purposes.
4. As a mother in the home.
“Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.’” – Proverbs 31:28-31.
The whole burden of child bearing and a greater part of child rearing tasks are carried out by the woman in the home and family.
- She is primarily responsible for the child’s habit of self-control, orderliness, industriousness, theft or honesty. Her contacts with the child during the most formative period of his development sets up his behaviour pattern.
- She is thus responsible for the maintenance of utmost discipline in the family.
- She is the first teacher of the child. She transmits social heritage to the child. It is from mother that the child learns the laws of the race, the manner of men, moral code and ideals.
- The mother, because of her intimate and sustained contact with the child, she is able to discover and nurture child’s special traits aptitudes and attitudes which subsequently play a key role in the shaping of his personality.
- As a mother she is the family health officer. She is very much concerned about the physical wellbeing of every member of the family, the helpless infant, the sickly child, the adolescent youth, senescent parent.
- She organizes the home and its activities in such a way so that each member of the family has proper food, adequate sleep and sufficient recreation.
- She made the home a place of quite comfortable and appropriate setting for the children through her talent.
- Besides, she cultivates taste in interior design and arrangement, so that the home becomes an inviting, restful and cheerful place.
- The mother is the central personality of the home and the family circle. All the members turn to her for sympathy, understanding and recognition.
- Woman devotes her time, labour and thought for the welfare of the members of the family.
- For the unity of interacting personalities, man provides the temple woman provides the ceremonies and the atmosphere.
- The woman performs the role of wife, partner, organizer, administrator, director, re-creator, disburser, economist, mother, disciplinarian, teacher, health officer, artist and queen in the family at the same time.
- Apart from it, woman plays a key role in the socio-economic development of the society.
- Modern education and modern economic life use to compel woman more and more to leave the narrow sphere of the family circle and work side by side for the enrichment of society.
- She can be member of any women’s organisation and can launch various programmes like literacy programme such as adult education, education for disadvantaged girls etc.
- The purpose of introducing such literacy programme is to raise the society as education enables women to respond to opportunities, to challenge their traditional roles and to change their life circumstances.
- Education is the most important instrument for human resource development.
- Women are the key to sustainable development and quality of life. So they should be members of community centre or club to disseminate knowledge about handicraft, cottage industries, food preservation and low cost nutritious diet to people belonging low socio economic status for their economic upliftment.
- They should act as leaders of the society to raise voice against women violence, exploitation in household as well as in work place, dowry prohibition superstition and other social atrocities.
- They should be member of religious institution to deliver spiritual speech to adolescent boys and girls in order to eliminate juvenile delinquency problem from the society.
- In addition they have pivotal role in pre and post marital counselling for adolescent girl regarding sexual transmitted disease. AIDS and other infectious diseases.
- They are supposed to create awareness about Human rights, women and child rights, credit facility of bank, different immunization programmes to low socio economic status people of the society.
- Moreover it is the women who have sustained the growth of society and moulded the future of nations.
- In the emerging complex social scenario, women have a vital role to play in different sectors. They can no longer be considered as mere harbingers of peace but are emerging as the source of power and symbol of progress.
Credit: Short Story culled from social media.