King Charles III addresses nation
Upon his ascension onto the throne as the new King of England, a day after his mother the Queen of England passed away, King Charles III addressed the nation from Buckingham Palace earlier this evening.
It was his first state address to the people of Great Britain after becoming King.
Below is a summary of what he told his subjects.
1. King Charles III has addressed the nation from Buckingham Palace after the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II.
2. The new King renewed his mother’s “lifelong promise of service”, saying her dedication never wavered.
3. He said his son William would become the Prince of Wales, with his wife Catherine becoming the Princess of Wales.
4. The King also mentioned his other son, Prince Harry, saying he expressed his love for him and Meghan.
5. He and Camilla, the Queen Consort, earlier greeted crowds outside the palace.
6. A service of prayer and reflection has taken place at St Paul’s Cathedral in London this evening.
7. The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral Castle on Thursday afternoon at the age of 96.