Nigeria Imposes New Covid-19 Nationwide Lockdown Effective Midnight, May 11, 2021.
Information from reliable sources reaching the editorial desk of newstodaygh.com has indicated that Nigeria, the most populous nation in Africa, like India is at the brink of a new surge in Covid-19 infections.
This situation has forced the federal government to consider imposing a second lockdown to curb the spread of the deadly virus already ravaging parts of the country.
The Imposed lock down is a desperate attempt to break the chain of spread of the coronavirus which is at the brink of escalating into a second wave.
Even though death tolls haven’t been forthcoming from the health authorities, figures from active cases can confirm that the situation is moving from bad to worse over the last few weeks.
As of May 9, 2021, the total number of active COVID-19 cases in Nigeria is hovering around 165,419.
Lagos is the hardest hit state, accounting for about 585,000 cases.
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Kaduna state has the second and third highest number of cumulative cases, respectively.
According to news reports monitored on some local and state media networks, the federal government authorities have issued new directives to enable the country curb the spread of the virus.
A reported press release statement with the following caption read:
“Effective From Midnight Tuesday, May 11, 2021, New Covid 19 Lockdown Takes Effect Nationwide”.
(1) Mass Gathering In A Public Space Restricted To 50 Persons.
(2) Bars And Night Clubs Should Remain Closed.
(3) The Nationwide Curfew Takes Effect From Midnight Till Further Notice.
(4) No Limitation However To Intra-State Travel.
(5) Recreational Facilities Are To Close Until 11th Of June, 2021 When The Protocols Will Be Reviewed.
(6) Security Agencies Empowered To Make Arrests Of Any Violator To Strengthen Responses To The Guidelines.
(7) States To Establish Mobile Courts To Try Cases Of Violation”.
The above statement has gotten most Nigerians unhappy about the situation with many questioning the rationale behind the Imposed lock down.